NETFLIX STARTS PRODUCTION ON “BEATS” STARRING ANTHONY ANDERSON
Chris Robinson is directing from an original screenplay by Miles Orion Feldsott
- Last week the Global Road Entertainment and 51 Minds Entertainment produced feature Beats began filming in Chicago for Netflix.
- Synopsis: In this coming-of-age drama, a reclusive teenage musical prodigy (Khalil Everage) forms an unlikely friendship with a down-on-his-luck high school security guard (Anthony Anderson). United by their mutual love of hip hop, they try to free each other from the demons of their past and break into the city's music scene. Directed by Chris Robinson (ATL, “The New Edition Story”), BEATS features Everage in his feature film debut and co-stars Uzo Aduba and Emayatzy Corinealdi. BEATS is the ultimate ode to Chicago's South Side, and its long history of creating music that forms the city's beating heart.
- The Beats filmmakers went for authenticity over experience by casting newcomer Khalil Everage, a seventeen-year-old from Chicago’s very own South Side, in his first lead role opposite Emmy and Golden Globe nominee Anthony Anderson (Black-ish).
- Musically, Beats will feature both established and rising Chicago based hip-hop producers and artists - including original music from elite hip-hop producer Young Chop, who was born and bred on Chicago’s South Side
- Director: Chris Robinson (ATL, The New Edition Story)
- Writer and Co-Producer: Miles Orion Feldsott (Deadly Class)
- Production Companies: Global Road Entertainment, 51 Minds
- Producers: Bob Teitel (The Hate U Give, Men of Honor, Barbershop), Christian Sarabia, Glendon Palmer (Southside with You, Jumping the Broom)
- Executive Producers: Anthony Anderson, Carrie Holt de Lama, Mitch Smith, E. Brian Dobbins, Chris Robinson
- Cast: Emmy and Golden Globe nominee Anthony Anderson (Black-ish), Khalil Everage, two-time Emmy Award Winner Uzo Aduba (Orange is the New Black), Emayatzy Corinealdi (Middle of Nowhere, Roots), Paul Walter Hauser (I, Tonya, BlacKkKlansman), as well as hip hop artists Dave East and Dreezy.
- The film will be released on Netflix in 2019
ABOUT GLOBAL ROAD ENTERTAINMENT
Global Road is a preeminent worldwide content studio that develops, finances, produces, acquires, and distributes entertainment content across theatrical, television, digital, and emerging platforms. The company also represents the distribution rights on behalf of third-party films intended for a global audience. Owned by Tang Media Partners, Global Road Entertainment is uniquely positioned to harness its deep resources and experience as a producer, financier, and sales entity to offer the industry and consumer a robust slate of traditional and next generation content.
ABOUT 51 MINDS
51 Minds Entertainment is the traditionally non-scripted production powerhouse behind shows like Below Deck (Bravo), Truck Night in America (History Channel) and T.I. & Tiny: Family Hustle (VH1). A division of Endemol Shine North America, 51 Minds is led by President Christian Sarabia and is expanding its enormously popular brand by breaking into scripted TV and film, with Beats kicking off its new slate.
Netflix is the world's leading internet entertainment service with 125 million memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.