Netflix Signs Management/ Production Company 42 To First-Look Film Deal
- Netflix and 42 have entered into a multi-year first-look development, financing and production deal for feature films
- Netflix and 42 have previously partnered on Sand Castle and The Titan and In Darkness in some territories
- Upcoming film productions include In The Shadow of the Moon which will start production later this year
- Outside of this deal, 42 is working with Netflix on the following series: Watership Down, a 4 x 1 hour animated mini-series and The English Game, a 6 part drama created by Julian Fellowes
- QUOTE FROM MATT BRODLIE FROM NETFLIX: “42 have been a great collaborator of ours the past few years. They have a depth of relationships with talent globally and a proven track record of developing and producing quality films. We are excited to be making a more meaningful association with 42 and look forward to bringing more of their films to the Netflix audience globally.”
- QUOTE FROM BEN PUGH, PARTNER AT 42: “Netflix is a company whose culture and spirit inspired us when we started 42 and we’ve been lucky to collaborate with them on a number of projects. They are now the market leading global content company and a proven and incredible home for the very best storytelling talent. We are thrilled to have partnered with them in this way to deliver great movies to their global audience."
42 is a management and production company, with offices in London and Los Angeles. Established in 2013, 42 is runby five partners: producers Rory Aitken and Ben Pugh and managers Kate Buckley, Cathy King and Josh Varney.
42’s management division represents an eclectic range of high profile and emerging talent. The company’s client list includes actors, writers, directors, producers, and casting directors.
Current and upcoming film releases include THE TITAN starring Sam Worthington and Taylor Schilling and IN DARKNESS, directed by Anthony Byrne and starring Natalie Dormer and Ed Skrein.
Films in pre-production include IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON directed by Jim Mickle and starring Boyd Holbrook which is being financed by Netflix. Films in post-production include André Øvredal’s MORTAL, a fantasy adventure based on ancient Norwegian mythology.
Previous film credits include Øvredal’s THE AUTOPSY OF JANE DOE; Eran Creevy’s COLLIDE, starring Nicholas Hoult, Felicity Jones, Sir Anthony Hopkins and Sir Ben Kingsley; war drama SAND CASTLE starring Nicholas Hoult and Henry Cavill, which was released on Netflix globally; THE OTHER SIDE OF THE DOOR, for 20th Century Fox, directed by Johannes Roberts; London-based crime thriller WELCOME TO THE PUNCH, exec produced by Ridley Scott; and the BAFTA-nominated feature film SHIFTY, starring Riz Ahmed.
42’s TV projects in production include JERUSALEM, a 6-part drama series commissioned by Channel 4, written by Bash Doran, currently shooting, and starring Michael Stuhlbarg, Emma Appleton, Keeley Hawes and Luke Treadaway; WATERSHIP DOWN, a 4 x 1 hour animated mini-series for BBC and Netflix, adapted from the global best-selling book by Richard Adams, written by Tom Bidwell, and starring James McAvoy, Nicholas Hoult, John Boyega, Sir Ben Kingsley, Daniel Kaluuya, Gemma Arterton and Olivia Colman, which is in production, and due to TX later this year; THE ENGLISH GAME, a 6-part drama series for Netflix, written by Julian Fellowes; and a number of other series in development with UK and US broadcasters.