Netflix announces Boca a Boca, Esmir Filho's new creative project, launching in 2020
- São Paulo, June 25th - Netflix announced today Boca a Boca, a six part, 45-minutes series created by talented filmmaker Esmir Filho (Alguma Coisa Assim, Sete Anos Depois, Os Famosos e Os Duendes da Morte, Saliva).
- The new Brazilian original series is set in the countryside and will explore the dynamics of the relationships of a hyperconnected youth when an unknown contagious disease spread by kissing starts to alter the sluggish everyday life of the community.
- Boca a Boca is the second series in partnership with production company Gullane (first being Daniel Rezende’s Nobody’s Looking). In this project, the production will also count with the valuable contribution of Fetiche.
- The writers' room is helmed by Esmir himself, who acts as showrunner, and pens the scripts alongside fellow screenwriters Juliana Rojas, Marcelo Marchi, Jaqueline Souza, and Thais Guisasola.
- The direction will be under Esmir Filho and Juliana Rojas.
- Caio Gullane, Fabiano Gullane, Fernando Sapelli, and Thereza Menezes are the producers. They also executive-produce alongside Esmir Filho, who will also be serving as an Executive Producer.
About Boca a Boca
In a cattle-ranching town in Brazil's countryside, adolescents panic when they are threatened by the outbreak of an epidemic, a contagious infection transmitted by kissing. In a contemporary and dark plot, the series portrays the desires of digitally connected youth within a physical reality filled with fear and mistrust.
In 1996, brothers Caio Gullane and Fabiano Gullane founded Gullane, which now has more than 45 prominent films in Brazil and abroad, 30 TV series, numerous specials, and documentaries. "Carandiru," "Brainstorm" "The Year My Parents Went on Vacation"; the "Till Luck Do Us Part" franchise; "The Second Mother", "Just Like Our Parents," "Bingo: The King of Mornings"; the series "Alice" (HBO), "Unidade Básica" (Universal) and "Jailers" (TV Globo) are some of the work done in the last 22 years. Its ability and commitment in all production stages have guaranteed important international co-productions and the commercialization of its projects in more than 90 countries. Gullane has received more than 500 awards and nominations in its career, as well as having its projects recognized in the official selections of the most important festivals in the world such as Oscar, Cannes, Berlin, Sundance, Toronto, Venice and the Emmy Award.
About Fetiche Features
Fetiche Features is a label created by filmmakers Esmir Filho, Thereza Menezes and Fernando Sapelli whose focus is the creation and production of serial content. In the filmmakers’ background, there are projects like "The Famous and the Dead", "Something Like That", "Exodus - From Where I Come From is Disappearing", the series "Filosofia Pop" (SescTV) “Calada da Noite" (GNT)," Viva Voz "(GNT), among others, as well as Residência Base.
Netflix is the world's leading internet entertainment service with over 148 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause, and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.