Netflix acquires Noomi Rapace action thriller CLOSE from WestEnd Films
- Netflix has acquired Close, an adrenaline-pumping action thriller written and directed by Vicky Jewson (Born of War), in a multi territory deal including North America, UK and Australia
- Close stars Noomi Rapace (Unlocked, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Prometheus, What Happened to Monday and Bright for Netflix), Sophie Nélisse (The Book Thief), Eoin Macken (Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, The Forest, Merlin TV series) and Indira Varma (Game of Thrones, Luther TV series).
- Inspired by the life of the world’s leading female bodyguard, Jacquie Davis, the film follows Sam (Noomi Rapace), a counter-terrorist expert used to war zones, who takes on the job of protecting Zoe (Sophie Nélisse), a young and rich heiress — a babysitting job for her. But a violent attempted kidnapping forces the two to go on the run. Now they’ve got to take some lives — or lose theirs.
- Quote from Vicky Jewson: “It was a privilege to make CLOSE with Noomi and Sophie; it felt unique to explore a strong female relationship prevailing against extraordinary odds. Working closely with Jacquie allowed us to bring an authenticity to the action scenes which was very important to me. CLOSE has always been a story with heart and character at its core and WestEnd and Netflix recognised this, and I am thrilled they are helping it achieve its vision.”
- Close is produced by Rupert Whitaker (Born of War), Jason Newmark (Triangle, Creep, Alien Outpost) and Vicky Jewson.
- The script was written by Vicky Jewson and Rupert Whitaker.
- Crew members include Editor Richard Smither (Harry Brown), DoP Malte Rosenfeld (Born of War), Stunt Coordinator Julian Spencer (Snowpiercer, Eastern Promises, 28 Weeks Later), Camera Operator Klemens Becker (Gladiator, X-Men, The Bourne Saga) and Hair & Make-up Designer Lynda Armstrong (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Die Another Day).
- WestEnd Films acquired Close under the banner of their female audience brand, WeLove, aimed at developing and producing female-specific content and promoting female talent.