Netflix Acquires Australian Romantic Comedy “Ali’s Wedding”
- Netflix has acquired worldwide rights to the Australian romantic comedy Ali’s Wedding from Beta Cinemas outside if Australia, New Zealand and China
- Ali’s Wedding has received numerous awards, including the Audience Award at the Sydney Film Festival and The Age Critics Award at the Melbourne Film Festival. It was nominated for 7 Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts (AACTA) Awards and won for Best Original Screenplay. The film was nominated for 7 Film Critics Circle of Australia Awards and won the Awgie Award from the Australian Writers' Guild for best original feature film.
- The film is based on star and co-writer Osamah Sami’s real life, whose arranged marriage lasted less than two hours.
- Synopsis: Ali is the charming son of a much-loved Muslim cleric who has migrated to Australia from Iraq. Desperate to please his family and community whilst juggling two very different worlds, Ali sets off a calamitous chain of events that sees him attending medical school despite not being enrolled, and falling in love despite being promised to another. As his wedding day draws ever closer, Ali’s double life is on the brink of exposure.
- Director: Jeffrey Walker
- Writers: Andrew Knight, Osamah Sami
- Cast: Osamah Sami, Don Hany, Helana Sawires
- Producer: Sheila Jayadev, Helen Panckhurst
- Ali’s Wedding will launch on Netflix in 2018 outside of China, Australia and New Zealand