Gina Rodriguez To Star As Carmen Sandiego In Netflix Live-Action Feature
- Netflix has acquired the live action feature film rights to Carmen Sandiego for Golden Globe Winner Gina Rodriguez (Jane the Virgin, Annihilation) to star and produce through her I Can and I Will productions alongside Kevin Misher and Caroline Fraser who will also produce.
- Andy Berman of Misher films is exec producer.
- Last year Netflix announced that they set a new animated series of Carmen Sandiego for 2019 with Rodriguez voicing the title character
- Publisher and learning company Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH) is the owner of the Carmen Sandiego property. Caroline Fraser is head of HMH Productions and is the Executive Producer of the Carmen Sandiego Netflix original series and feature film. A line of books from HMH featuring Carmen will launch in 2019 timed to the series release.
- The movie will be a standalone Carmen adventure that will embrace this beloved 90’s property for existing fans and a new generation
- No writer or director is yet attached to the movie.
- Next up Rodriguez is set to produce and star in the film Someone Great for Netflix that begins filming in May. She also has the starring role in Miss Bala for Sony that will be released January 25, 2019, which Misher Films is producing. Rodriguez continues to star in "Jane the Virgin" and voiced a role in the upcoming Warner Bros. animated film Small Foot.
ABOUT I CAN AND I WILL
Founded by Gina Rodriguez in 2015, I Can and I Will Production’s mission is to create art that tells stories from the unheard and unseen, discover and expose new talent and increase empathy and understanding for all communities.