‘Deadpool’s Rob Liefeld Takes His Extreme Universe To Netflix
- Netflix has secured the motion picture rights for Rob Liefeld’s "Extreme Universe" hard-edged collection of graphic novels including "Brigade," "Bloodstrike," "Re-Gex," "Kaboom,” "Bloodwulf," and "Cybrid.” The deal covers six comic books, encompassing more than 50 characters.
- Academy Award ® Winner Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind, I Am Legend) will set up and oversee a high-end writers’ room (similar to what he’s done for the Ology series, Transformers and Hasbro) to generate interlocking features.
- Goldsman, Liefeld, and Brooklyn Weaver will serve as producers
- Weed Road President of Production Greg Lessans will Executive Produce
- SCOTT STUBER QUOTE: “Rob Liefeld’s ‘Extreme Universe’ features gritty stories and distinctive characters. Akiva’s creative voice has been behind some of the largest movie franchises, making him uniquely capable of helping bring these superheroes from the Extreme Universe to life for Netflix.”
- AKIVA GOLDSMAN QUOTE: “Rob is a unique and innovative talent who knows how to combine hard-edged comic book action with real emotionality. Netflix has the ambition, reach, and dedication to bring his universe to life.”
- ROB LIEFELD QUOTE: “Netflix has become a part of every day existence for me and my children. Their programing is the most dynamic and diverse I have seen. I am beyond thrilled and inspired to be bringing my Extreme catalogue to life with the creative wizards at Netflix. What Akiva Goldsman has achieved with his craft and storytelling across all mediums in our industry is of absolute benefit for my Extreme Characters. He is an absolute comic book fanatic and working with him on adapting Extreme has been electric! His stellar work on Star Trek Discovery has wowed the fandom and trust me when I say that the Teen Titans show he is producing is going to blow fans away! I cannot wait to show the world what we have in store.”
- Liefeld is known for creating the “Deadpool,” “X-Force,” and “Cable” franchises in the early ’90s, which have enjoyed unparalleled success as comics, toys, games and films. “X-Force” launched to 5 million sales and remains the second best-selling comic in history. Deadpool is the highest-grossing R-rated movie in box office history and Fox is releasing the sequel on May 18 2018.
- Liefeld’s influence extended to popular characters and storylines featuring Spider-Man, X-Men, Captain America, and the Avengers during his time at Marvel Comics.
ABOUT ROB LIEFELD
Rob Liefeld’s legendary career began at the age of 18 years old. Fresh out of high school he was hired by both Marvel and DC Comics where he began laying the foundation for a resume that would define a generation. Among the most popular of Liefeld’s creations are Deadpool, Cable, Domino, X-Force, Youngblood, Supreme, Prophet and Glory.
While in his early 20’s, Rob took over Marvel’s ailing New Mutants comic book franchise and transformed it into the industry powerhouse X-Force. Along with Deadpool, Cable and Domino, Liefeld introduced dozens of new characters that caught favor with fans who made them instant favorites such as Stryfe, Shatterstar, Zero, Reaper, Feral, Wildside, Gideon, Kane, Warpath, Grizzly, Bridge and many more!
X-Force #1 went on to sell an unprecedented five million copies in the United States alone making it the #2 selling comic book of all time. The X-Force franchise has produced numerous spin-off’s over the years, creating an entire line of popular books for industry leader Marvel comics.
Following the success of X-Force, Liefeld teamed with his peers to launch Image Comics, the most successful independent comic book label in comics history. His offshoot of Image, Extreme Studios was born in Orange County, CA. Extreme’s first title, Youngblood, created and illustrated by Rob Liefeld went on to sell 1 million copies, shattering the sales record for an independent comic book. Extreme went on to publish Liefeld creations, BRIGADE, BLOODSTRIKE, SUPREME, GLORY, PROPHET and AVENGELYNE. Many continue their publication at Image today.
Liefeld added to the Deadpool lore in 2009 by introducing Lady Deadpool and later expanded the Deadpool family by launching the bestselling Deadpool Corps. in 2010.
In 2016, the motion picture Deadpool was released starring Ryan Reynolds. It earned critical acclaim, a Golden Globe Nomination and became the highest grossing R-Rated box office film in worldwide history making over $783million dollars. The sequel will be released on May 18th, 2018 starring Josh Brolin as Liefeld’s Cable and Zazie Beetz as Domino, bringing Liefeld’s creations together on screen for the first time.