Netflix ISP Speed Index for October 2017
Here are some highlights from the October data for the Netflix ISP Speed Index, our monthly update on which Internet Service Providers (ISPs) provide the best primetime Netflix streaming experience.
Taiwan’s Taiwan Broadband experienced the largest speed gain in October with an increase of 0.62 Megabits per second (Mbps). The gain brought its average monthly speed to 3.32 Mbps, up from 2.70 Mbps in September, and helped Taiwan Broadband rise three spots to No. 3 in Taiwan.
Other notable speed gains in October:
- Israel’s XFone saw speeds climb to 3.39 Mbps, up from 3.00 Mbps in September, rising three spots to rank No. 4 in Israel.
- Italy’s EOLO-NGI saw speeds increase by 0.28 Mbps, bringing its average monthly to 3.30 Mbps (up from 3.02 Mbps in September). EOLO-NGI also rose in the ranks this month, gaining four spots to rank No. 3 in Italy.
- Hong Kong’s SmarTone saw its average speed gain to 2.84 Mbps, up from 2.57 Mbps the month prior. The gain helped lift Hong Kong five spots to 10th in our country rankings.
ISPs in Poland, Indonesia and Israel experienced meaningful speed decreases in October:
- Inea in Poland saw speeds slow to 2.98 Mbps (from 3.58 Mbps in September). This contributed to Poland falling seven spots to 32nd in our country rankings.
- In Indonesia, speeds slowed at Internux and Indosat-Fibre. Internux’s monthly average decreased to 2.16 Mbps (from 2.44 Mbps in September) and Indosat-Fibre’s speeds slowed to 4.01 Mbps (from 4.30 Mbps in September). Despite this, Indonesia rose five spots to 26th in our country rankings.
- In Israel, 099.net’s speeds decreased to 2.72 Mbps (from 3.04 Mbps in September) while Netvision saw speeds slow to 3.01 Mbps (from 3.36 Mbps in September).
The Netflix ISP Speed Index is a measure of primetime Netflix performance on a particular ISP and not a measure of overall performance for other services/data that may travel across the specific ISP network. Faster Netflix performance generally means better picture quality, quicker start times and fewer interruptions. To test your internet speed, visit http://FAST.com on any internet browser or download the FAST Speed Test iOS or Android app.
To see if your country ranks within the top 10, click here.
Bao Nguyen is a member of the Netflix communications team.
More from the Company Blog
Last week, we received approval under the Investment Canada Act from the Minister of Canadian Heritage, the Hon. Melanie Joly, to create Netflix Canada, a new home for Netflix original productions in Canada. Read More
Netflix Inc. announced today the promotion of Jessica Neal as Chief Talent Officer, leading the group responsible for culture, human resources, recruiting, and coaching the global team behind the world’s leading internet entertainment service. Read More