Netflix ISP Speed Index for November 2018
Here are some highlights from the November data for the Netflix ISP Speed Index, our monthly update on which Internet Service Providers (ISPs) provide the best prime time Netflix streaming experience.
In speed gains this past November, Hargray in the United States saw the biggest speed increase on the index. At an increase of 1.85 Megabits per second (Mbps), Hargray’s speeds gained to 4.17 Mbps, up from 2.32 Mbps in October.
Several ISPs in Latin America saw their monthly average speeds jump significantly as well:
- Paraguay’s Tigo Star increased its monthly average to 3.14 Mbps (from 2.79 Mbps last month),
- Costa Rica’s Cabletica brought its average speed to 2.96 Mbps (from 2.62 Mbps)
- Bolivia’s Entel saw its monthly average lift to 2.34 Mbps (from 2.00 Mbps),
- And TeleCentro in Argentina’s monthly average sped up to 3.98 Mbps (from 3.70 Mbps).
Lastly, in Indonesia, Neuviz and MyRepublic experienced speed gains. Speeds at Neuviz increased to a 2.94 Mbps monthly average (from 2.62 Mbps in October), while MyRepublic’s speeds jumped to 3.75 Mbps (from 3.47 Mbps).
In losses, Vodafone Greece saw speeds slow to a 2.64 Mbps average, down from 2.90 Mbps in October. Also, SK broadband in South Korea experienced a decrease of 0.26 Mbps, bringing its monthly average down to 2.03 Mbps (from 2.29 Mbps).
There were several noteworthy movements in our country rankings this month:
- Romania jumped four spots to 2nd (from 6th in October),
- Peru jumped five spots to 29th (from 34th in October),
- And, Kuwait dropped seven spots to 38th (from 31st in October).
The Netflix ISP Speed Index is a measure of primetime Netflix performance on a particular ISP and not a measure of overall performance for other services/data that may travel across the specific ISP network. Faster Netflix performance generally means better picture quality, quicker start times and fewer interruptions. To test your internet speed, visit http://FAST.com on any internet browser or download the FAST Speed Test iOS or Android app.
Bao Nguyen is a member of the Netflix communications team.