Netflix ISP Speed Index for February 2018
Here are some highlights from the February data for the Netflix ISP Speed Index, our monthly update on which Internet Service Providers (ISPs) provide the best primetime Netflix streaming experience.
Hong Kong’s iCable enjoyed the biggest speed increase in February, with a gain of 0.58 Megabits per second (Mbps), bringing its average monthly speed up to 3.92 Mbps, up from 3.34 Mbps in January. The gain, among others, helped Hong Kong jump four spots to No. 2 in our country rankings.
India’s Reliance Communications bounced back from its speed decline last month, with speeds gaining to a monthly average of 2.01 Mbps, up from 1.52 Mbps in January. Spain rose four spots in our country rankings, bolstered by Telefonica-Movistar, whose average monthly speed went up to 2.79 Mbps (from 2.46 Mbps in January).
Speeds at ISPs in Israel experienced significant gains, lifting Israel six spots to 14th in our country rankings:
- 099.net saw speeds climb by 0.47 Mbps, increasing its average monthly speed to 3.26 Mbps (up from 2.79 Mbps last month).
- Netvision’s speeds continued to gain from January, increasing to an average monthly speed of 3.71 Mbps (up from 3.35 Mbps last month).
- Partner’s speeds increased by 0.29 Mbps, increasing to an average monthly speed of 3.94 Mbps (up from 3.65 Mbps last month).
In Saudi Arabia, speed gains at Mobily and STC bounced back from their losses last month. Mobily’s speeds increased to a monthly average of 2.95 Mbps (from 2.59 Mbps in January) and STC’s speeds gained by 0.30 Mbps to a monthly average of 2.47 Mbps (from 2.17 Mbps in January).
Significant speed losses in February include:
- Kuwait’s Qualitynet, its monthly average slowing to 2.82 Mbps from 3.07 Mbps in January, and Gulfnet, its monthly average slowing to 1.89 Mbps down from 2.15 Mbps in January.
- Spain’s Jazztel DSL, decreasing to a 2.81 Mbps monthly average, down from 3.16 Mbps last month.
- Indonesia’s Indosat-Fibre, continuing its speed decreases from last month. Its monthly average speed slowed to 3.32 Mbps, down from 3.69 Mbps in January.
The Netflix ISP Speed Index is a measure of primetime Netflix performance on a particular ISP and not a measure of overall performance for other services/data that may travel across the specific ISP network. Faster Netflix performance generally means better picture quality, quicker start times and fewer interruptions. To test your internet speed, visit http://FAST.com on any internet browser or download the FAST Speed Test iOS or Android app.
To see if your country ranks within the top 10, click here.
Bao Nguyen is a member of the Netflix communications team.
More from the Company Blog
At Netflix, we offer a wide variety of series and films catering to an equally broad variety of tastes and sensibilities. With that in mind, we are improving some long-standing Netflix features that provide members with the information and tools they need to make wise decisions Read More
Netflix has changed in a lot of ways since it launched over 20 years ago, and it has also brought change to the very way stories come to life. As Netflix has evolved to become a global producer of entertainment, we’ve also become responsible for the end-to-end process of story creation. Read More