Netflix ISP Speed Index for December 2017
Here are some highlights from the December data for the Netflix ISP Speed Index, our monthly update on which Internet Service Providers (ISPs) provide the best primetime Netflix streaming experience.
In Poland, Play and Inea experienced the largest speed gains in December. Play saw its speeds gain by 0.58 Megabits per second (Mbps), bringing its average monthly speed to 2.62 Mbps, up from 2.04 Mbps in November. Inea followed with speeds increasing to a monthly average of 3.85 Mbps, up from 3.30 Mbps the month prior. These gains combined with the following speed increases at Polish ISPs helped Poland jump eleven spots to 22nd in our overall country rankings:
- Toya’s speeds improved by 0.54 Mbps, increasing its average monthly speed to 3.88 Mbps, up from 3.34 Mbps in November. This bolstered Toya three spots to No. 1 in Poland.
- Vectra saw its average monthly speed climb to 3.85 Mbps, up from 3.37 Mbps last month.
- Plus’s speeds climbed to 2.53 Mbps, up from 2.23 Mbps since November.
Axtel Acceso Universal in Mexico continued to see its average speed improve a second month in a row. Its average monthly speed increased by 0.39 Mbps, increasing its average monthly speed to 1.83 Mbps. Other notable gains this month were experienced by:
- Ireland’s Imagine, with speeds gaining by 0.37 Mbps, increasing its average monthly speed to 2.79 Mbps (from 2.42 Mbps in November).
- Italy’s Wind, experiencing an increase of 0.36 Mbps, increasing its average speed to 3.07 Mbps (from 2.71 Mbps in November).
- Ecuador’s Claro, saw speeds climb by 0.36 Mbps, increasing its average monthly speed to 3.02 Mbps, (from 2.66 Mbps in November).
South Korea’s SK broadband and Austria’s CableLink experienced the biggest speed declines this month. SK broadband’s speeds slowed by 0.30 Mbps, decreasing its average to 2.22 Mbps (from 2.52 Mbps in November. CableLink’s speeds declined by 0.38 Mbps, slowing to an average monthly speed to 3.76 Mbps, down from 4.14 Mbps the month prior.
The Netflix ISP Speed Index is a measure of primetime Netflix performance on a particular ISP and not a measure of overall performance for other services/data that may travel across the specific ISP network. Faster Netflix performance generally means better picture quality, quicker start times and fewer interruptions. To test your internet speed, visit http://FAST.com on any internet browser or download the FAST Speed Test iOS or Android app.
To see if your country ranks within the top 10, click here.
Bao Nguyen is a member of the Netflix communications team.